At Washingwell our physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. We provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
Our school bases the core work in physical education around the National Curriculum which aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
Key Stage 1
Pupils develop fundamental movement skills, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance, coordination, individually and with others. They engage in competitive and co-operative activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
Pupils are taught to:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility, co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns
Key Stage 2
Pupils continue to apply and develop a broader range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. They enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. They develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Pupils are taught to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate, and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defencing
- develop flexibility, strength, techniques, control and balance
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively
- perform safe self-rescue in different water based situations
Sports plays a huge role within school life. We are linked to Whickham School Partnership and Gateshead School Sports Partnerships which allows us to participate in extra specialised coaching in a range of activities.
This coaching could be: fencing, badminton, hockey, basketball, athletics, dance, tri-golf, tag rugby, cricket, multi skills, and gymnastics.
We also participate in both cluster and Gateshead sports tournament and festivals throughout the year.
Our Sporting achievements are also enriched by extra-curricular clubs; karate, athletics, fit kids, sports club, football and dance.